What is Power Plate?
Power-Plate is a vibrating platform used as exercise equipment. It consists of a vibrating base, which may vibrate up and down approximately 25 to 50 times per second. Traditional exercises such as squats and push-ups are done on the vibrating base. The motion makes the exercise positions harder to hold, because it involves loads several times the force of gravity. Typically you do a series of exercises for 30 seconds to one minute each on the machine, with rests of a similar duration. The vibrations cause an involuntary reflex muscle contraction 25-50 times a second compared to once or twice a second normally. Power Plate can also be used with older and weaker people to improve strength, power, muscle tone, definition and bone density. Positive effects may result from using Power Plate:
- higher collagen formation
- improved bone density (osteoporosis)
- improved mobility and coordination (protection from falls)
- faster healing and more muscle after injuries and operations
- pain reduction such as back pain, neck and chronic pains
- improved neurological function (Parkinson, MS)